Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life in Pictures

Hello Friends! I wanted to give you a little taste of what I see here in the beautiful city of Soroti.

Most of my days include a combination of these four scenes:

These are two of my housemates, Alibina and Julius. They have been adopted by a wonderful German lady named Stephanie who has lived in Soroti for about 5 years. She is a nurse by trade, and has spent the last few years volunteering at Amecet, the local baby home, from where she adopted Alibina and Julius.

A few times every week, I go to visit Amecet. I work a couple of shifts a week and stop in to visit as often as I am able. This is Rukia. When she first came to Amecet a few months ago, she was completely skin and bones, weighing only a few kilos due to neglet from her family. Now, after a lot of food and a lot of love by the "aunties" who work here, she is chubby and happy! The staff is hoping to send her to home to a loving member of her extended family. Rukia's case is quite typical of the babies who live at the home. The home is meant as temporary housing for children from families in need.
These are my preschoolers! Moses (far left) and Avalien (far right) are the son and daughter of our team leaders, Tim and Angie. Grace and Lydia (inside, left to right) are the daughters of some of our other team members, Josh and Mandy. Lydia has become a bit of a helper, while the others enjoy many fun lessons (many courtesy of Miss Kristi). I've been helping them to explore the different parts of an egg, the laying of eggs, the different animals who lay eggs, nests, and more. They are having a blast!
These are my wonderful students at Harmony Primary School, a school funded by Youth With A Mission. I have about 10 students from ages 10-15 who meet with me for help with reading. I have just started working on some writing with them. Typical Ugandan curriculum includes lots of recitation and repetition, and I want to help my students with some creative writing. We are going to start making a book this week! I'm very excited to see how it goes!
Thanks for reading and thanks for keeping me in your prayers! Lisa is now home safe and sound, only to be whisked off to her job on a summer camp stuff in Northern Michigan. Please continue to pray for her adjustment home and for continued health and energy in my last few weeks here.
Love, Thanks, and Peace,
Steph

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your pics and stories. How delightful it is to be surrounded by such beautiful children! May God continue to delight over you as you seek to serve Him alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing from you, Steph. What a wonderful mission. Truly God has blessed you with this opportunity.

    Mrs. Fitz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing some pics, you are doing awesome work!! Glad things are going well. We will continue to pray for you and everyone over there.
    We miss you!! Can't wait to see you in Aug.
    Blessings,
    Tracee

    ReplyDelete